October 26, 2017, Lakewood, Colorado – It is well known that air pollution in the U.S. is a major concern and the EPA has taken steps to improve America’s air quality. Between 1980 and 2016, gross domestic product increased 158 percent, vehicle miles traveled increased 111 percent, energy consumption increased 25 percent, and U.S. population grew by 42 percent. During the same time, total emissions of the six principal air pollutants dropped by 67 percent. The graph also shows that between 1980 and 2015, CO2 emissions increased by 15 percent.1
This graph shows that the strides that the EPA and other agencies committed to reducing pollution are making a difference.
In 2015, Google collaborated with a tech company and unleashed a pair of Google Street View cars with mobile labs inside them in the streets of a California neighborhood. The goals were to measure nitrogen dioxide, black carbon, and nitric oxide in the air, street by street. This data gives those concerned solid evidence to fight with to reduce pollution and back strategies to do so.2
Mesa supports clean air initiatives and offers various types of equipment that uses BGI pioneering technology to meet and exceed the requirements for ambient particulate sampling dictated by the U.S Environmental Protection Agency.
You can do your part to reduce emissions and pollution throughout your community as well.